• Low power CMOS technology
- Write current: 3 mA typical
- Read current: 500
- Standby current: 500 nA typical
• 512 x 8 bit organization
• 16 byte page
• Write cycle time: 5ms max.
• Self-timed ERASE and WRITE cycles
• Block write protection
- Protect none, 1/4, 1/2, or all of array
• Built-in write protection
- Power on/off data protection circuitry
- Write enable latch
- Write protect pin
• Sequential read
• High reliability
- Endurance: 10M cycles (guaranteed)
- Data retention: > 200 years
- ESD protection: > 4000 V
• 8-pin PDIP, SOIC, and TSSOP packages
• Temperature ranges supported:
The Microchip Technology Inc. 25AA040/25LC040/
) is a 4K bit serial Electrically Eras-
able PROM. The memory is accessed via a simple
Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) compatible serial bus.
The bus signals required are a clock input (SCK) plus
separate data in (SI) and data out (SO) lines. Access to
the device is controlled through a chip select (CS) input.
Communication to the device can be paused via the
hold pin (HOLD). While the device is paused, transi-
tions on its inputs will be ignored, with the exception of
chip select, allowing the host to service higher priority
interrupts. Also, write operations to the device can be
disabled via the write protect pin (WP).
Bus Serial EEPROM
*25xx040 is used in this document as a generic part number for the 25AA040/25LC040/25C040 devices.
SPI is a trademark of Motorola.